Crowns & Bridges is the dental restoration for the tooth/teeth which are damaged, decayed or lost. Crowns and most bridges are fixed prosthetic devices used for your dental restoration. Both crowns and bridges are cemented onto existing teeth or implants which can be removed only by a dentist. It is not like other removable devices such as dentures, which can be taken out and clean daily by you. To restore a damaged tooth back to its original position we use crown whereas bridge is used to replace one or more missing teeth. The restorations are cemented onto the teeth and are as referred to as fixed.
Why Is A Dental Crown Needed?
– To protect a weak tooth (for instance, from decay) to prevent it from breaking or in order to hold together parts of a cracked tooth
– To restore an already broken tooth or a tooth that has been severely worn down
– To cover and support a tooth with a large filling when there isn’t a lot of tooth left
– To hold a dental bridge in place
– To cover a dental implant
– To cover mis-shapened or severely discoloured teeth